Google Drive and Docs Tips
Change the Google Drive default folder
Use this tip to change the default folder location in Windows
When you download Google Drive to your PC a default folder will be created in C:\Users\[your name]\Google Drive. If you want to change the name or location of this folder you can do so by following the steps below. This tip is useful if you need the Google Drive folder to have a standard url for all your company - for 3rd party apps for example.
- Click on the Google Drive icon in your system tray (usually bottom right of your Windows task bar)
- Choose Preferences
- Choose Disconnect account, your Drive will be disconnected but your files will stay on your PC
- Click on the Google Drive icon again
- Sign in when asked, step through the set up until you reach screen 2 of 2 - then click Advanced setup
- Click Change to choose the folder name and location - if you choose an existing folder it must be empty
- Your files will now be re-synced down to your PC in this new location
- Delete the old folder and files - if you want to.
- Click on the Google Drive icon in your system tray
- Choose Quit Google Drive
- Now move the Google Drive folder within Windows Explorer to a new location
- Restart Google Drive from Start --> All Programs
- Google Drive will warn you that it can't find the folder, click on the Google Drive icon again and choose Error - Google Drive folder is missing
- A window will open up, choose Locate folder and go find the new Google Drive folder.