With Google’s SMS service (currently only available in the USA) you can register your phone and not only receive notifications by SMS, you can also add events.
- Sign in to Google Calendar, click on the top right hand cog icon and go to Settings.
- Click on the Mobile Setup tab.
- Enter your mobile number and click on Send Verification Code. You should receive the code within seconds.
- Now enter the verification code that you receive into calendar settings and click Finish Setup.
- That’s it, you’re done!
To add a calendar event (US users only) just text to 48368 (GVENT) with your event details.
e.g. Meeting at 2pm with Jennifer at the office.
You can also use the following SMS commands to receive one off updates:
- NEXT – Request your next scheduled event
- DAY – Request all your scheduled events for the present day
- NDAY – Request your events scheduled for the following day
- STOP – Opt out of receiving SMS messages from Google Calendar on your phone
For the rest of the world, you can still register your mobile phone and receive SMS messages for your reminders – but with the excellent Android and Google Sync, plus CalDAV functionality it’s really only useful if you have an older phone or like SMS messages!