In Classic Drive the method to add files to multiple folders required the use of the Ctrl Key with the Move function.
See the previous tip: The difference between Add and Move
In the New Drive this is implemented via a different method.
Adding a file to multiple folders
Working in a given folder we can locate the file we wish to add to another folder.
- Single-Click on the file to select it.
- See the Details View and note the file’s location
- With the file still selected issue a SHIFT-Z (holding down the Shift key and pressing Z)
- This opens the Add To dialogue and allows you to choose the folder you wish to add the selected file to
- Click the Blue Add button to add the file to the chosen folder
- See the Details View and note the file now has 2 locations for the file
You can work on multiple files at the same time by selecting them together and following the Add To method.
Files can have many multiple locations (not just 2).
As with any advanced method this needs to be used carefully to avoid confusion.
With the Add to method there is still only a single version of the file so a deletion from any of its locations results in a deleted file “everywhere”.
To remove a file from a single location click on the X next to that location in the details view.