Released in January 2014 the Chrome/Drive extension ZIP Extractor allows you to unzip (extract or decompress) files in Google Drive.
From the ZIP Extractor Chrome web store page:
- The ZIP file can come from your computer or from Google Drive.
- You can choose which files in the ZIP file to extract.
- After extracting the ZIP file, you can share the extracted files with others
You can add ZIP Extractor via the Chrome web store or via the red CREATE button in Drive
- Click the the red CREATE button
- Select Connect more apps
- search for zip
- select and connect ZIP Extractor
Once added you will now have the option to Right-Click Open with the ZIP Extractor for .zip files stored in Drive.
Once invoked (you will need to grant access permissions for Drive on the initial launch) ZIP Extractor shows a screen with the contents of your zip archive (filenames, sizes).
You can then:
- Select via tick-box which files to extract (by default all are selected)
- Choose Extract Now to extract into a new folder inside the current folder
- The default name is the original zip file name with (Unzipped Files) appended
- e.g. MyDirs.zip extracts to a folder named: MyDirs.zip (Unzipped Files)
- Use Change destination folder… to invoke a Drive dialogue to select an alternative destination folder
The extraction process shows a Progress Bar during operation and when complete offer you buttons to:
- View extracted files
- Extract another ZIP file
Clicking View extracted files opens a new Chrome tab within the newly created folder containing the extracted files.